develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from January 2006

ff and fff [Was: till (the flipflop operator, formerly ..)]

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
January 25, 2006 11:38
Subject:
ff and fff [Was: till (the flipflop operator, formerly ..)]
Message ID:
20060125193741.GA939@wall.org
I've changed the flipflop operator/macro to "ff", short for "flipflop".
This has several benefits.  It's a doubled char like other short-circuit
operators.  It lets us add an "fff" to be equivalent to p5's scalar
... operator, and either of them can take the ^ modifiers to exclude
endpoints.  In trying to explain p5's flipflip operator, GrandFather
on perlmonks just abbreviated it as "f/f", so it seems pretty natural
that way.  Also, upon a bit of psychological reflection, it's probably
actually *good* for this operator to be an obscure one, because
the very readability of "till" would tend to give people the false
impression they know what's going on.  Much better to send them to
the manual to look up what "ff" means than to have them guessing wrong.
(And being alphabetic it's easier to look up than a doubled punctuation
character would be, if we had any punctuation characters to spare for
a rare operator, which we don't.)

Larry