Re: Elimination of Item|Pair and Any|Junction

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
Re: Elimination of Item|Pair and Any|Junction
Message ID:
p06230901bf0dcde60f89@[192.168.1.101]
At 10:32 PM +0000 7/27/05, David Formosa \(aka ? the Platypus\) wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:17:52 -0700, Mark A. Biggar <mark@biggar.org> wrote:
>>  Larry Wall wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>   Whatever we call
>>>  it, this type/class/role/subtype has to admit Item and Pair objects
>>>  but not Junctions.  (And if that's the wrong way to think about it,
>>>  please tell us why.)
>>
>>  Suggestions:
>>
>>  Definite
>
>Collapsed

Assuming that a Junction represents a quantum superposition of
values, then I agree that either Definite or Collapsed would be a
good non-Junction name.

It fits in with the same theme, and sounds much more like a Junction
complement than an Item or Single or Pair or whatever.

So it might be reasonable to have:

   Any - Definite - Single
                  - Pair
       - Junction

Further in this discussion, I don't see why it isn't reasonable for
the $x parameter to -> $x {...} to be a Junction.  Maybe the $x
should just be an Any and be done with it.

-- Darren Duncan