Re: DBI v2 - Data In and Data Out

From:
Yuval Kogman
Date:
Re: DBI v2 - Data In and Data Out
Message ID:
20050714064742.GB16987@woobling.org
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 17:23:28 -0600, John Williams wrote:
> The proposals so far have dealt mostly with the SQL itself, and
> supporting database-neutral layers on top of DBI.
>
> Personally, I don't mind writing the SQL myself, I rarely need to make
> a particular statement work on two databases in my work, and I can
> optimize a lot better than any SQL generator.
>
> I like DBI shortcuts (selectrow_array, etc), and I would like them
> to become even more convenient in DBIv2, so I have been thinking
> about ways to streamline the movement of data in and out of DBI.

I would like to propose one more output format, optimized for
performance:

The packed array is a piddle like interface, which is 0 overhead -
no conversion or copying is made, the driver simply implements an
IType over the native data that it can provide.

Result matrices are given back in the natural buffer size of the
driver, or a user defined setting.

I also think that your compatibility concerns shouldn't matter - we
already have DBI for perl 5. It provides all the compatibility we
need. I'd like a more accessible binding interface, and more
flexible placeholders (especially for safety). Since Perl 6 has more
explicit types I'd like DBI to be able to leverage these, too.

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@woobling.org> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me supports the ASCII Ribbon Campaign: neeyah!!!