Re: User-defined infix subs/methods?

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
Re: User-defined infix subs/methods?
Message ID:
20050712211006.GA405@wall.org
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:27:48PM +0800, Autrijus Tang wrote:
: On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 03:58:45PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
: > It should take a little more effort to mess with the minds of
: > unsuspecting modules, so maybe the standard syntax is cloned out of
: > *STANDARD_PERL_6 or some such scary package name.  It's the default for
: > starting all require-like Perl 6 parses.
:
: Note that this requirement is already satisfied, under the "separate
: compilation doctrine" in the hackathon notes.
:
: Each compilation unit needs to be compiled without any information to
: the symbols in the caller environment.  It may export symbols, but may
: not silently make use of caller's symbols, which naturally includes
: user-defined operators.

Good, I'd forgotten about that.  Which means that it's even harder
for someone to compile a module in a "strange" dialect, since they'd
essentially have to write their own version of "use" that forces
recompilation ("reuse", if you will).  And the harder we make it to
write "reuse", the better.

Larry