Mr. Clean vs. Perl 6

From:
Yuval Kogman
Date:
June 29, 2005 19:33
Subject:
Mr. Clean vs. Perl 6
Message ID:
20050630021756.GB23213@woobling.org
To me Mr. Clean has always been a symbol of facism. It's this big
strong guy who enforces cleanliness using chemicals. How mean is
that?

Whatever.

Perl 6 is all about getting along with others. There is one aspect
of perl 6 that doesn't get along - people who want to write strongly
typed perl 6, and interoperate with loosely typed perl 6.

This is because Perl 6 is not strongly typed in any way, even
optional.

I gave Perl 6 to Mr. Clean, and he said that if type inferrence was
formalized, and used always, except that it's usually used for
performance, and with a lexical pragma can be used to enforce types.
I like facist programming when it can help me, so I would like to
see something like his proposal.

	no autocoerce;;
	my $y = 'blah';
	my Int $x = $y; # compile time type error

This scheme is not perfect.. Maybe someone has an idea?

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@woobling.org> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me beats up some cheese: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!