Re: proposal: binding with a function

From:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=C1RTH=C1ZI_Andr=E1s?=
Date:
Re: proposal: binding with a function
Message ID:
42B70A29.2050108@barthazi.hu
Hi,

>>"&kilobytes := &kilobyte;" will not work for you (try it), because you
>>have to declare the "variable" kilobytes - in the default strict mode.
>>But you can't say for ex. "my &kilobytes", if you want to export it.
>
> So you say `our &kilobytes ::= &kilobyte` (or `:=`, you still haven't
> said if alias works at compile time or runtime) and call it a day.
>
> IIUC, traits like `is exported` are attached to the container, not the
> name; since aliasing connects a name to a container, you should be
> fine on that front.  (If it doesn't work, that's because `is exported`
> does something funky that `alias` would have to treat as a special
> case; certainly other traits like `is rw` would follow a
> `:=`-binding.)
>
>>Anyway, "alias" is a Ruby term, and if Parrot will be able to support
>>Ruby, then it will be able to support this function, too.
>
> As I've said before, Perl supports `alias`--it's just spelled `:=`.

If you're right, then I'm happy. I don't want "alias", I would like to
get it's behaviour. In Ruby, I think it's a compile time feature, but
don't know, I'm not programming in Ruby.

I'm not (yet) an expert in Perl 6, so sorry if I'm not right, but "is
exported" is about the name, not the container, as I think. If you
attach an "is exported" to a class method, you can reach it from
everywhere, just using it's name. If you say _in your class_ that "our
&mysub ::= &exportedsub", then you can reach the mysub sub just in the
class, not from everywhere in your program (as a plain sub). I'm really
not sure, if I'm right, so please tell me, that I lost, and I will be
happy. :)

Bye,
   Andras