Re: proposal: binding with a function

From:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=C1RTH=C1ZI_Andr=E1s?=
Date:
Re: proposal: binding with a function
Message ID:
42B70324.7000607@barthazi.hu
Hi,

>>- in natural languages, synonims are very often - alias is a synonim
>
> Perl is modeled on natural languages, but that doesn't mean it is one.
>  At its core, Perl is a limited, artificial language being explicitly
> designed with certain goals.  One of those goals is that it should be
> as small as possible given the feature set we want it to support; an
> `alias` built-in that essentially duplicates an existing feature goes
> against that goal.

I can agree with it, but I think it would be a great feature. And it
doesn't depends on Perl 6, but it depends on Parrot, as I think.

>>- in Perl 6, currently there's no way to create a reference to a
>>   variable, _with the context of the variable_, too (binding just give
>>   me possibility to bind a variable into another, but the new variable
>>   won't be automatically have the same context, as the binded one)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "context" here.  Context has a very
> specific meaning in Perl, representing the type a function's caller is
> expecting; this doesn't seem to be what you're talking about here.
>
>>alias kilobytes, kilobyte;
>
> This is a couple punctuation symbols short of:
>     &kilobytes := &kilobyte;
> Or maybe:
>     &kilobytes ::= &kilobyte;
> I'm not really sure what behavior you have in mind for alias.

"&kilobytes := &kilobyte;" will not work for you (try it), because you
have to declare the "variable" kilobytes - in the default strict mode.
But you can't say for ex. "my &kilobytes", if you want to export it. I
would like to copy if the subroutine/variable is local, or exported,
or... etc. Oh, I have the term: I would like to copy the _scope_ of it,
too. Forget the "context". Simple binding shouldn't have to copy the
scope, too.

Anyway, "alias" is a Ruby term, and if Parrot will be able to support
Ruby, then it will be able to support this function, too.

Bye,
   Andras