Re: Musing on registerable event handlers for some specific events

From:
Rod Adams
Date:
Re: Musing on registerable event handlers for some specific events
Message ID:
42A87627.1070805@rodadams.net
Nigel Sandever wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:57:30 -0700, larry@wall.org (Larry Wall) wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:04:30PM +0300, Gaal Yahas wrote:
>>: On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:29:33PM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
>>: To take a notorious example, you mentioned fork() -- if this event manager
>>: becomes part of Perl6, does that mean we're required to emulate fork()
>>: on win32?
>>
>>Perl 5 manages it, and Perl 6 is expected to emulate Perl 5 when fed
>>Perl 5 code.  It's one of the reasons Parrot is aiming to support an
>>ithreads model in some fashion or other, I expect.  But it's okay if
>>the Pugs interpreter punts on this for now.
>>
>If the only reason for using the ithreads model is to allow fork() to be
>emulated using the same mechanism as is used in P5 -- please don't.

I'll second that. While each version of p5 makes progress towards fork()
on Win32 being moderately useful, I still find that only reliable way to
do automated multi-processing is to whip out Win32::Process and start a
new interpreter with special "I'm a child process" arguments.

-- Rod Adams