Re: date and time formatting

From:
David Storrs
Date:
Re: date and time formatting
Message ID:
BD19CBE0-9623-4424-8EB1-386B3259A639@dstorrs.com

On May 31, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Rob Kinyon wrote:

> On 5/31/05, Nathan Gray <kolibrie@graystudios.org> wrote:
>
>> As I am interested in human-readable dates and times, and having
>> found
>> no conclusive discussion on time formatting, I make my recommendation
>> for a syntax (to start discussion, and allow for date formatting
>> to be
>> implemented in pugs):
>>

> What's wrong with porting DateTime?
>
> Rob

It's back to the old question of "what's in core?"  Are dates and
times something that are used in such a large proportion of programs
that they deserve to be shipped in the basic grammar?  Or perhaps in
the basic set of packages?

Perl 5 has an entire swath of modules designed to manipulate dates
and times; this suggests that they are (A) commonly used and (B)
something that people feel very strongly about the semantics of.

--Dks