construction clarification

From:
Carl Franks
Date:
May 30, 2005 09:00
Subject:
construction clarification
Message ID:
4f352aae0505300900514e3922@mail.gmail.com
I have a class that normally takes a list of named arguments.
I also want to be able to handle a single argument.

class Foo {
  multi method new (Class $class: Str $date) {
    return $class.bless(date => $date);
  }

  submethod BUILD ($.date, $.time, $.offset) {
    # some error checking here

my $foo = Foo.new('2005-05-30');

#
Is this the correct way to handle my scenario?
My explicit 'new' method should only handle the case of
a single argument - otherwise the 'new' method
inherited from Class will handle a list of named
arguments.

My explicit BUILD submethod is called, regardless
of which 'new' method is called, correct?

Cheers,
Carl