Re: Syntax of using Perl5 modules?

From:
Adam Kennedy
Date:
Re: Syntax of using Perl5 modules?
Message ID:
20050527040314.28396.qmail@lists.develooper.com
> You get all those possibilities whenever you install any new version of
> a module you get from someone else, regardless of a p5->p6 hop. In p6,
> when you say "use Digest;", you are specifically asking for what p6
> considers the "latest" version. In p5, it was "first match on libpath".

Except that within Perl 5, there is an general expectation that the same
API will exist across multiple module versions. It is assumed that newer
versions of a module will continue to work the same as older ones, with
API breakages being a bad and rare thing.

The 6 month long mod_perl Apache::->Apache2:: argument was over this
very thing. There is a huge difference between an API version and a
module (implementation) version.

As far as I'm aware, there is no expectation that *every* module in Perl
6 that shares a name with a module in Perl 5 will merely be a
re-implementation of the same API in Perl6.

If I am expected to reimplement all my Perl 5 modules in Perl 6 without
the opportunity to do a better job and take advantage of new Perl 6
API-related features, could someone please point my boot in the general
direction of the ass of whoever came up with that idea.

Adma K