Re: comprehensive list of perl6 rule tokens

From:
Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan
Date:
Re: comprehensive list of perl6 rule tokens
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.61.0505251017410.14648@perlmonk.org
On May 25, Jonathan Scott Duff said:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:24:50PM -0400, Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:
>> I wish <!prop X> was allowed.  I don't see why <!...> has to be confined
>> to zero-width assertions.
>
> I don't either actually. One thing that occurred to me while responding
> to your original email was that <!foo> might have slightly wrong
> huffmanization.  Is zero-width the common case?  If not, we could use
> character doubling for emphasis:  <!foo> consumes, while <!!foo> is
> zero-width.

But that's not even the point.  The ! in <!after ...> is not what makes
<!after ...> a zero-width assertion, it's the 'after' that does that.  All
the ! does is negate the boolean sense of the assertion, which seems like
a useful thing to have.

Hrm, but I think I see the problem.  How does one define "negation" for an
arbitrary assertion?  Is <!foo> saying "if <foo> matches, fail"?  Because
then <!prop X> doesn't make mean the same as <-prop X>.  We don't want
negation, we want complement.

I guess '!' is only well-defined for zero-width assertions.  When you want
to say <!foo>, I guess <!before <foo>> or <!after <foo>> is the proper way
to go.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan         %  How can we ever be the sold short or
RPI Acacia Brother #734     %  the cheated, we who for every service