Re: C<::> in rules

From:
Patrick R. Michaud
Date:
Re: C<::> in rules
Message ID:
20050513001037.GA23460@pmichaud.com
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 05:15:55PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 15:41, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > False.  In the first case the group is the whole rule.  In the second
> > case the group would not include the (implied) '.*?' at the start of
> > the rule.
>
> This was a very unfortunate choice of explanations, since an implied
> ".*?" would change the semantics of the match deeply.

I agree, my wording on this wasn't all that clear--I haven't found
a good phrase for "the stepping that takes place at the beginning
of an unanchored match".  And in earlier versions of PGE, the
stepping was actually performed by a '.*?' node at the beginning
of the expression tree that didn't participate in the captured
result.

Anyway, we're in agreement as to what :: and ::: do, so I'll propose
changes to S05/A05 and we can go from there.  Thanks! :-)

Pm