Re: Sun Fortress and Perl 6

From:
Luke Palmer
Date:
April 27, 2005 02:38
Re: Sun Fortress and Perl 6
Message ID:
20050427075311.GA25564@navi.cx
Juerd writes:
> Autrijus Tang skribis 2005-04-27 17:04 (+0800):
> > I can certainly see a `is pure` trait on Perl 6 function that declares
> > them to be safe from side effects.  In a sense, `is const` also does that.
>
> `is pure` would be great to have! For possible auto-memoization of
> likely-to-be-slow subs it can be useful, but it also makes great
> documentation.

It's going in there whether Larry likes it or not[1].  There are so
incredibly many optimizations that you can do on pure functions, it's
not even funny.  Haha.  Er...

[1] Of course if Larry doesn't like it (now _that's_ funny) then it will
go in a module that will be mysteriously tied to Perl 6's guts.

Luke