Re: Question about list context for String.chars

From:
Larry Wall
Date:
April 12, 2005 04:14
Re: Question about list context for String.chars
Message ID:
20050412111407.GA6718@wall.org
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:53:32PM -0400, Mark Reed wrote:
: I think that, in general, at the level of Perl code, 1 “character” should be
: one code point, and any higher-level support for combining and splitting
: should be outside the core, in Unicode::Whatever.

I think the default should be language-independent graphemes, and
that support for all Unicode levels below that is in the core, while
all of the many level 4 ("use French") modules should come standard,
which is core by some definition.

Larry