Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_'read-only'?

From:
chromatic
Date:
Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_'read-only'?
Message ID:
1112212630.28735.9.camel@localhost
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 14:29 -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> What I do not think should be allowed (and I may be contradicting Larry
> here, which I realize is taking my life in my hands ;) is violating the
> compile-time view of the "static" type tree. That is, you can load an
> object "foo" at run-time, without and interface definition, but it can't
> change the shape of the type tree or its existing interfaces. If it
> wants to do that, it has to provide an interface def (e.g. what an
> autoload module should be able to provide).

I disagree, *unless* you predeclare that you don't plan to change
anything -- as an optimization hint.  (Though if you write a module to
do this as a policy, I won't hunt you down with my +2 club of Optimize
for the Programmer, not the Compiler.)

I certainly plan to continue to instrument code at runtime (and not just
really slushy, partially slushy, and permafrost compile time).

-- c