Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_ 'read-only'?

From:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_Sandla=DF?=
Date:
Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_ 'read-only'?
Message ID:
424AF51A.1020308@orthogon.com
Larry Wall wrote:
> I think it's perfectly fine for the compiler to make use of whatever
> information it has.  The trick is to never make any unwarranted
> assumptions, such as "Nobody will ever add another class with an 'm'
> method."

Er, isn't that not just the wrong way around? The point is to do the
bookkeeping that an object is needed that does .meth() and that it
is stored in $a, and to complain when that is not the case when it
should be. The earlier the better.

I don't understand why writing 'my X $a' needs at least a declaration
of X, but then '$a.meth()' does not consider '.meth' as a bare method
that needs a declaration in X? Polymorphism is about requiring that
objects do compare and then sort a bunch of them using that particular
role---not more not less. Or think of US Postal just transporting letters
irrespective of them containing Anthrax or not, as long as they bear the
right stamps!
--
TSa (Thomas SandlaƟ)