Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_ 'read-only'?

From:
=?UTF-8?B?VGhvbWFzIFNhbmRsYcOf?=
Date:
Re: Parameter and trait questions - just how 'only' _is_ 'read-only'?
Message ID:
424A79D8.10208@orthogon.com
Luke Palmer wrote:
> Unless the caller can't see the signature, as is the case with methods.
> [..]
> Again, this can't be done unless you know the signature.  And in fact,
> we can't do type inference on methods unless we do type inference
> everywhere, which we can't do if we want an autoloader.

This sounds to me even messier than the C header file mishap,
or even the old K&R days without protoyped declarations!

How can the programmer know about the signature of a method?
I guess from some documentation. And the prime documentation of
an interface is a formal interface definition provided by the
language. This is e.g. what Ada does. Also CORBA is build around
its IDL (Interface Definition Language) and from version 3.0
onwards a CDL (Component Definition Language).

If I understand you correctly the use statement is more like a
linker/loader directive than a compile time interface include?
BTW, is it foreseen to have a clear conceptual split between the
compiler and the loader? Or is that all blurred?
--
TSa (Thomas SandlaƟ)