getting Perl 6 special support in text editors

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
March 28, 2005 15:14
Subject:
getting Perl 6 special support in text editors
Message ID:
p06210201be6e3bf240c1@[192.168.1.102]
This message is largely FYI, and some of its details are only
relevant to Mac OS X users, though the general theme is not.

Following today's release of BBEdit 8.1 text editor, which among its
new features is integrated Subversion support (it had CVS for awhile
already), I have been compelled to write the creators with my first
feature request.

The message I sent is quoted verbatim below.

In short, I requested Perl 6 specific support and gave them some
pointers on what I thought were short term priorities as well as info
or suggestions to make their job the easiest (resulting in soonest
delivery).  This was prompted largely by that the existing (and
otherwise very useful) Perl 5 syntax coloring makes a mess (runaway
string quote) when encountering such things as 's:g///' and '$foo //=
$bar'.

AFAIK, a lot of Perl 6 developers use Mac OS X, and should benefit from this.

As for users of other environments, I don't know if any other editors
already do the right thing with Perl 6 syntax; if not, I suggest that
now is a good time to petition their creators for this feature and/or
add it yourselves.

Right about now is just when we should be getting a large influx of
Perl 6 developers, and they might as well have the best possible
experience.

Assuming this request is accepted, I will post again when the
supporting version is available and/or a roadmap is known.

-- Darren Duncan