[Fwd: Re: Moving the p5 standard library to p6]

From:
chromatic
Date:
[Fwd: Re: Moving the p5 standard library to p6]
Message ID:
1111831983.19317.90.camel@localhost
Forwarded...

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 12:05 +1100, Andrew Savige wrote:

> Please note that I am not an expert on any of this, I was just
> wondering whether we are going to clean up the old p5 library
> interfaces as part of the move to p6. Or must we support the
> old p5 library interfaces for backwards compatibility?

No.  Please, no.  :)

As I see it, Perl 6 has a chance to start over with a very small set of
core libraries -- perhaps embarrassingly small -- so as not to entomb
our current, potentially-blepharitic guesses at good Perl 6 design
principles for the next twenty years or so.

If people really want File::Find or MakeMaker interface compatibility in
Perl 6, I suggest a new top-level namespace, namely
GodHelpYou::File::Find, though P5Compat may be less exciting and more
appropriate.

-- c