Symbol table lookup and hash

From:
Gaal Yahas
Date:
March 17, 2005 00:34
Subject:
Symbol table lookup and hash
Message ID:
20050317083342.GA28259@sike.forum2.org
I'm looking to understand symbol tables and the symtable hash better.

What's the motivation for ::() syntax? Is it mainly for binding aliases?
How would $::("MY::bar") behave when my $bar has not been declared?
(Similarly, what happens with an undeclared $::("Foo::bar") ?)

If I do the analogous thing with the symbol table hash, (how) is the
behavior any different? What can you express with ::() but not with the
symtable hash?

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal@forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/