splat operator and context

From:
Aldo Calpini
Date:
March 9, 2005 03:12
Subject:
splat operator and context
Message ID:
422EDA01.8070000@perl.it

I was trying to implement unary * (list flatten or "splat" operator) in
pugs yesterday, and I came to the conclusion that I really don't grok
how context works in Perl6 (I also really don't grok Haskell, but this
is another story...).

if I understand correctly, all these are equivalents:

   my @a = 1,2,3;
   my @a = (1,2,3);
   my @a = list 1,2,3;
   my @a = [1,2,3]; # or does it make @a[0] = (1,2,3)?

and all these are too (they make $a a reference to an array):

   my $a = 1,2,3;
   my $a = (1,2,3);
   my $a = list 1,2,3;
   my $a = [1,2,3];

I'm not sure what the following do (assign 1 to $a maybe?):

   my $a = *@a;
   my $a = *(1,2,3); # or is this a syntax error?
   my $a = *(list 1,2,3);
   my $a = *[1,2,3];

and I have absolutely no clue about the following:

   my *$a = @a;
   my *$a = *@a;
   my *$a = (1,2,3);
   my *$a = [1,2,3];