develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2005

Re: How are types related to classes and roles?

From:
Leopold Toetsch
Date:
February 28, 2005 22:52
Re: How are types related to classes and roles?
Message ID:
200502281813.j1SID0V04220@thu8.leo.home
Thomas Sandlaß <Thomas.Sandlass@orthogon.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something, but the only thing I've figured out so far is that
> Parrot uses ternary MMD for its builtin binary ops like ADD, MUL, OR, etc.

actually binary, dispatch is based on (left, right) operands.

> They are ternary to prevent a final copy or conversion of the result to the
> target register. Where is the general MMD mechanism?

No. The destination has currently to exist. But I'll very likely put in
variants that create the destination.

Currently a static 2-dimensional MMD table is used. This will be
replaced by a dynamic lookup and caching.

> Will the Perl 6 MMD be directly implemented in Parrot or on top of it?
> I guess Parrot needs to do it for language interoperability, right?

Yep.

leo