develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2005

Re: scoping functions as list operators?

From:
Stéphane Payrard
Date:
February 24, 2005 20:38
Re: scoping functions as list operators?
Message ID:
20050225043835.GE19484@cachan-2-82-67-232-89.fbx.proxad.net
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:09:24PM -0500, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   SP> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 03:56:06AM +0100, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
>   >>
>   >> Giving scoping functions the status of list operators
>   >> would allow to drop parentheses when not used in conjunction
>   >> with initializer so one could write:
>   >>
>   >> my $a, $b, $c;
>   >>
>   >> instead of
>   >>
>   >> my ($a, $b, $c);
>
>   SP> Too bad that in English there is no plural for my.
>   SP> In French it would work fine
>
>   SP>   mon $a;   # French for C<my>, singular
>
>   SP> # C<mes> as a list operator
>   SP>   mes $a, $b, $c;  # French for C<my>, plural
>
> well, our is a form of a plural my but it is not a plural of the things
> that are mine/ours but rather the group owning it (which is the
> namespace).
>
> so we can try: all, mine, these, those, them
> and the brooklynese variants: dese, dose, dem. :)
> southern variant: y'all or yall.
> maybe yall is expanded as yall mine!
>
> yall $a, $b, $c = 1 .. 3 ;
>
> larry?
>
> uri
>
> PS if this gets in, i will stop being so bigoted against southern accents! :)
>
> --

You have got to find a plural form for all the kind of scopes
supported by Perl. Ant that gets us half-way because of the =
assignement operator precedence which is wrong in your example.

--
 stef