develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2005

Re: scoping functions as list operators?

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
February 24, 2005 20:09
Re: scoping functions as list operators?
Message ID:
x7vf8hb7rf.fsf@mail.sysarch.com

  SP> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 03:56:06AM +0100, Stéphane Payrard wrote:
  >>
  >> Giving scoping functions the status of list operators
  >> would allow to drop parentheses when not used in conjunction
  >> with initializer so one could write:
  >>
  >> my $a, $b, $c;
  >>
  >> instead of
  >>
  >> my ($a, $b, $c);

  SP> Too bad that in English there is no plural for my.
  SP> In French it would work fine

  SP>   mon $a;   # French for C<my>, singular

  SP> # C<mes> as a list operator
  SP>   mes $a, $b, $c;  # French for C<my>, plural

well, our is a form of a plural my but it is not a plural of the things
that are mine/ours but rather the group owning it (which is the
namespace).

so we can try: all, mine, these, those, them
and the brooklynese variants: dese, dose, dem. :)
southern variant: y'all or yall.
maybe yall is expanded as yall mine!

yall $a, $b, $c = 1 .. 3 ;

larry?

uri

PS if this gets in, i will stop being so bigoted against southern accents! :)

--
Uri Guttman  ------  uri@stemsystems.com  -------- http://www.stemsystems.com