develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from May 2004

Re: C style conditional statements

From:
Matthew Walton
Date:
Re: C style conditional statements
Message ID:
40A26D0A.5090002@alledora.co.uk
Larry Wall wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 09:47:04AM +0100, Matthew Walton wrote:
> : For some reason, lots of people don't like it when indentation is
> : what's controlling their code structure...
>
> Indentation is a wonderful form of commentary from programmer to
> programmer, but its symbology is largely wasted on the computer.
> We don't tell poets how to format their poetry.

When you put it like that, I'm almost converted. My favourite language
that does indentation as syntax is Haskell - where it's optional, so I'm
not really all that passionate about it. I just don't mind it.