develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from May 2004

Re: C style conditional statements

From:
Andrew Rodland
Date:
Re: C style conditional statements
Message ID:
200405120057.15863.arodland@entermail.net
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 10:13 pm, Larry Wall wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:31:55PM -0400, Andrew Rodland wrote:
> : On Tuesday 11 May 2004 08:00 pm, Pedro Larroy wrote:
> : > Hi
> : >
> : > Is there any chance that in perl6 there will be the possibility to
> : > write if/else statements without {}s with the condition at the
> : > beginning?

> : Yes, I know that I'm diverting rather than strictly answering. My
> : personal opinion is that I can live with it, because I've shot myself in
> : that particular foot before, and that there are good reasons. My other
> : opinion is that I wouldn't mind if a particular rule in the grammar could
> : be enabled / disabled with "use strict 'braces'" either, as it is
> : somewhat unperlish to prevent footshooting for that sake alone.
>
> That's gonna be pretty unlikely.  We've basically decided that, in
> terms of readability, it makes a whole lot more sense to get rid of
> the parens than the curlies, and you can't make both the parens and
> the curlies optional.

Aha. I knew that there was one important point that I was missing out on, and
that's the one. And that one does count as a "technical" reason for p6, if
not p5. Hope I've clarified, Pedro.

--Andrew