develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2004

Re: Exegesis 7: Overflow Fields

From:
Mark A. Biggar
Date:
February 29, 2004 16:40
Re: Exegesis 7: Overflow Fields
Message ID:
4042864E.2020607@biggar.org
Damian Conway wrote:

>> But that means I have to pre-process data lists that just happen to
>> contain empty strings so that they won't disappear on me.
>

> Huh? An empty string already *has* disappeared on you. ;-)
>

>  > This seems to violate least surprise.
>
> I'd be much more surprised if an empty string *didn't* disappear.
> After all, you wouldn't expect:
>
>     $str1 = "nothing" . "to" . "see";
>
> to be different from:
>
>     $str1 = "nothing" . "" . "to" . "" . "see";

I also don't expect

$x = '';
$y = "aaaa $x bbbb";

to assign '' to $y either, but that's the equlvalent of what you say
form() will do.

I was more worried about arrays of items some of which are empty strings
and having items disappear out my repost because form() throws them
away.

--
mark@biggar.org
mark.a.biggar@comcast.net