develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2004

Re: Semantics of vector operations

From:
Andy Wardley
Date:
February 2, 2004 00:37
Re: Semantics of vector operations
Message ID:
20040202083526.GF31998@cat.ourshack.com
Luke Palmer wrote:
> But I'm still sure that the unicode-deficient would rather write:

I suspect the unicode-deficient would rather write Ruby.

Adding unicode operators to Perl will just reinforce its reputation as
a "line noise" language.

I know it has been said before, and I'm sure it will be said again,
but this is a really bad idea, IMHO.

Sure, make Perl Unicode compliant, right down to variable and operator
names.  But don't make people spend an afternoon messing around with mutt,
vim, emacs and all the other tools they use, just so that they can read,
write, email and print Perl programs correctly.