develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from May 2003

Re: "Warnock's Dilemma"????

From:
Bryan C. Warnock
Date:
Re: "Warnock's Dilemma"????
Message ID:
1053739327.2138.102.camel@wakko
I realize this thread is almost a month old, but I'll take this time to
set the record straight.  Well, straighter, I guess, as even the web
page I had up at one time was based on a faulty memory.

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as Perl-lore or not.  It's
certainly not in the same category as "pumpking" or "Schwartzian
transforms".  (After all, my largest claim-to-fame in the Perl community
now boils down to not knowing whether or not I'm an idiot.  How sad is
that?)

But for the sake of historical accuracy - Parrot includes a brief
definition in one of its docs, I think - here's the result of some
research I did for Nicholas Clark awhile back.

<include>

The original discussion is from the bootstrap@perl.org list, August
2000.

The major thread was "RFCs: two proposals for change", which begins at
http://archive.develooper.com/bootstrap@perl.org/msg01053.html .

The first foundations for the "Warnock's Dilemma" post probably start at
http://archive.develooper.com/bootstrap@perl.org/msg01080.html .

My posting, in response to the disagreement between Grant M. and Andy
Dougherty over the interpretation of silence, is found at
http://archive.develooper.com/bootstrap@perl.org/msg01126.html .  (Notice
that contrary to popular reporting, *I* wasn't the one actually
suffering from it.  That time.)

The name itself, courtesy of David Mitchell, is from the perl6-internals
list in February 2001.  That posting can be found at
http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-internals@perl.org/msg02558.html ,
most likely as a result of my post at
http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-meta@perl.org/msg00712.html .

It was David L. Nicol that submitted it to Wired magazine, who included
it in their October 2001 issue.  (Online at
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.10/mustread.html?pg=7 .)

</include>

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 14:07, Paul wrote:
> I've seen that in the summaries lot's of times, and had no clue as to
> what it referred. I finally managed to scratch up a small spare tuit,
> and looked it up.
>
> Brian Warnock? :)

Oh, yeah.  And it's "Bryan".  I hardly ever care, except on legal
documents, but it's ironic that I don't even get to enjoy my own 15
minutes.

> Is http://www.fishrush.com/warnocksdilemma.shtml a sufficient
> explanation (as in to say, nobody's answered it yet), or is there
> something else I should know?

As one would expect, for some period of time - I forget which - before
David L. Nicol's "Wired" entry was published, I lead the various perl6
lists with the highest percentage of unanswered posts, and the most
number of "One-Post Wonders".

David was second, himself.  Go figure.

Cheers,

--