develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from August 2000

Re: RFC: lexical variables made default

From:
Piers Cawley
Date:
August 4, 2000 01:44
Re: RFC: lexical variables made default
Message ID:
m1aeetxvv9.fsf@rt158.private.realtime.co.uk
Damian Conway <damian@cs.monash.edu.au> writes:

>    > > Perl's similarity to English is one of the things that makes it Fun.
>    >
>    > OTOH, being fun (which I admit it is) is one of the reasons many
>    > people don't want to think Perl is a serious language.
>    >
>    > Not saying we should eliminate all the fun; but keeping something
>    > on the merit of it's being fun is probably at odds with the goal
>    > of make Perl more widely acceptable.
>
> Someone want to RFC a "fun" pragma:
>
>    #! /usr/local/bin/perl -w
>
>    no fun;	# for you!
>
> Actually, Tim Maher and I were discussing something not entirely dissimilar
> for the purpose of teaching:
>
> 	use Training::Wheels;
> or:
> 	no Weird::Stuff;
>
> Hmmmmm. I feel a paper coming on...

I always like to say that one of the cute things about perl is that it
lets you program in a bondage and discipline style if that's what you
want. However, unlike any other B&D language that springs to mind,
perl lets you have safewords.

Or should that be an unsafeword?

Personally I welcome the addition of more bondage and discipline to
the language, but *only* if the safeword principle is adhered to too.

--
Piers