develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from January 2001

Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
January 9, 2001 06:21
Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's
Message ID:
20010109082121.P6541@chaos.wustl.edu
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:41:30AM -0500, James Mastros wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 05:02:17PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > Wouldn't an incremental on-demand engine be much
> > more flexible and optimizable (e.g. finding 'the fast path' smells
> > like input-driven LRU to me)?
>
> Umm, I'm not certian that I'm completly following here.  It seems that in
> the vast majority of all cases, you'd need to compile (or at the very least,
> parse) the entire regex.  Also, you can get /vast/ efficency gains by
> compiling a regex, so you can check the easy things first.

What I have in mind is not *that* different from the current way of
things, the regex will get compiled, but not before it's first used,
and not necessarily all at once.  No, I don't have any formal theory,
any actual code, and much less benchmarks to prove this, I'm just
waving my hands to keep warm.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen