develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from January 2001

Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's

From:
James Mastros
Date:
January 8, 2001 21:42
Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's
Message ID:
20010109004129.A695@lilith.belledonna.mine.nu
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 05:02:17PM -0600, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Wouldn't an incremental on-demand engine be much
> more flexible and optimizable (e.g. finding 'the fast path' smells
> like input-driven LRU to me)?
Umm, I'm not certian that I'm completly following here.  It seems that in
the vast majority of all cases, you'd need to compile (or at the very least,
parse) the entire regex.  Also, you can get /vast/ efficency gains by
compiling a regex, so you can check the easy things first.

	  -=- James Mastros
--
midendian: She never sleeps.
mousetrout: But I do.  I just regret it after I wake up.