develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from January 2001

Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's

From:
Damian Conway
Date:
January 8, 2001 19:24
Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's
Message ID:
200101090324.OAA28375@indy05.csse.monash.edu.au
   > The only thing I remark is that I believe all of Perl should be the
   > most exposed possible, so that unseen levels of introspection
   > can be achieved. In that philosophy I wrote my idea about
   > exposing the engine's guts.

I'm well-known as a non-delving-into-the-guts type of guy. I don't have
a problem with your proposal, since (as Rick points out) it can easily
be viewed as a superset of mine, and made no harder to implement (assuming
we eventually see method calls draw close to subroutine calls in
execution speed).

   > BTW, I didn't see any comments about my second thought, the one
   > of inspecting compiled regexps. Did you like it? That also goes in
   > the direction of exposing all the internals to the module writers...

I didn't feel qualified or entitled to comment on it since I *never*
operate at the level of the perl guts; not even in modules -- like Switch --
that may appear to do so.

Damian