develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from January 2001

Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's

From:
Nathan Torkington
Date:
January 6, 2001 13:19
Re: Exposing regexp engine & compiled regexp's
Message ID:
14935.35431.981966.967731@prometheus.frii.com
Damian Conway writes:
> I once wrote a C++-based regex engine (much simpler than Perl's!)
> just like this.

I once brutalized Henry Spencer's engine into telling me when I was
on my way to a match.  This was for a UI: I wanted to be able to say
that the input should only match this RE, and if they typed something
that broke the match, I could beep and disallow the character.

I was just a greenhorn then, so it coredumped.  But it's another use
for access to internal engine states and failure reasons.

Nat