develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
brian d foy
Date:
December 16, 2000 11:23
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
Pine.SOL.3.96.1001216142033.22599G-100000@staging.sri.net
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:39:08AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> > Tell me how you can do that without breaking much existing code.
>
> Pssst, Randal, this is Perl 6, not p5p.

well, we do have to translate 95% of that code to Perl 6 without a hitch.
i imagine that breaking regex behaviour in fovor of something new would
make that quite difficult.  perhaps that is not what Randal was talking
about, but it is something to consider.

--
brian d foy                              <brian@smithrenaud.com>
Director of Technology, Smith Renaud, Inc.