develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Deven T. Corzine
Date:
December 15, 2000 12:59
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.10.10012151558000.31056-100000@escher.ties.org

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:39:08AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> > Tell me how you can do that without breaking much existing code.
>
> Pssst, Randal, this is Perl 6, not p5p.

That's why I never suggested fixing it in Perl 5 -- the chance of breaking
any existing code did NOT seem worth considering for something so minor.

But if Perl 6 is likely to break a few things anyway, then this would be an
appropriate time to consider such a change.  (If it actually makes sense.)

Deven