develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
December 15, 2000 12:47
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
7182.976913216@chthon
>Actually, I'm not sure -- it's conceivable that the ending point would ALSO
>move inward for a different starting point within the original match.  But
>the ending point should NEVER be advanced further -- that's where the
>"leftmost over nongreedy" rule should apply instead...

Please show us your implementation for a pattern matching engine
that lets the current end-point vary.  This is very exciting,
because now you can relax the restriction that lookbehinds
must be constant width.

--tom