develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
December 15, 2000 12:30
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
11119.976912196@chthon
>As for special-case rules, I believe that my proposed modification would
>REMOVE a special-case semantic rule, at the cost of added complexity at the
>implementation level.

What is this alleged "special-case rule" you are talking about?
There is no such thing.  None.  When you write /pat/, it means to
find the first such pattern.  There is no special case here.

--tom