develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
December 15, 2000 12:12
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
20001215141230.G10621@chaos.wustl.edu
> More generally, it seems to me that you're hung up on the description
> of "*?" as "shortest possible match".  That's an ambiguous

Yup, that's a bit confusing.  It's really "start matching as soon as
possible, and stop matching as soon as possible".  (The usual greedy
one is, of course, "keep matching as long as possible".)  The initial
invariant part, "start as soon as possible", is the de facto and de
jure (at least POSIX 1003.2, but probably also Single Unix)
definition, and therefore rather non-negotiable.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen