develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Jonathan Scott Duff
Date:
December 15, 2000 10:42
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
20001215124349.D21705@cbi.tamucc.edu
On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 01:13:13PM -0500, Deven T. Corzine wrote:
> Not at all.  I don't want it to keep looking after it finds the first
> match.  I want it to make sure that match isn't unnecessarily long, if
> non-greedy matching was in use.  Conceptually (I don't think this would be
> a good implementation), you find the first match as the current engine
> does, then search for the smallest possible match WITHIN that first match.

This still sounds like "keep looking after it finds the first match"
to me.

> Since it will already be as short as possible from the starting point, this
> amounts to advancing the starting point as far as possible without changing
> the ending point, as long as it still matches.

Given that the behavior you are looking for is already available and
under programmer control, what are you really asking for?  Do you want
the default behavior of the RE engine to change and if so, how would
we get the current behavior?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff