develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
merlyn
Date:
December 14, 2000 15:38
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
m1lmtir2uk.fsf@halfdome.holdit.com

Deven> I'm not pushing for this to be fixed in Perl 5; it's been out
Deven> there long enough, and there's no point worrying about it in
Deven> that version.  But that doesn't mean that the same design flaw
Deven> should be kept in Perl 6, when some minor incompatibilities are
Deven> to be expected...

But *I* don't see it as a design flaw.  I predicted precisely what was
going to be matched.  Perhaps it's merely a matter of understanding
and experience.  I think the current definition is precisely
predictable in all circumstances.  If you start adding special-case
rules, you'll lose.  Big time.

No bug.  Just a feature you don't (yet) understand.