develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.regex | Postings from December 2000

Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
December 14, 2000 15:25
Re: Perl 5's "non-greedy" matching can be TOO greedy!
Message ID:
20001214172451.I25210@chaos.wustl.edu
On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 04:19:15PM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> Deven T. Corzine writes:
> > I haven't even SEEN an example where the current behavior is actually
> > preferable than my proposed behavior, have you?  (And I'd expect at least a
> > FEW, though I suspect there are probably more counterexamples.)
>
> I think the biggest problem with your idea is that it requires the
> engine to keep looking even after it finds a match, to see if there's
> another shorter match.  This would make *every* match much much
> slower, potentially heatdeathoftheuniverse slower.

Couldn't the be an option (a modifier) to do this?  Then if someone
asks to wait until all the electrons spin down, so be it...

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen