develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.objects | Postings from November 2001

Re: Stupid Newbie Question

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
November 9, 2001 11:45
Re: Stupid Newbie Question
Message ID:
5.1.0.14.2.20011109140915.02c53ec0@pop.sidhe.org
At 06:48 AM 11/9/2001 +0000, Piers Cawley wrote:
>Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> writes:
>
> > At 04:21 PM 11/8/2001 -0800, John Rudd wrote:
> >>So, does this mean my other heart's desire of operator overloading might
> >>be coming forth?  (I know, I know, here I am, a smalltalker, asking for
> >>operator overloading ... but, what are the smalltalkers gonna do, take
> >>away my membership card?)
> >
> > What, you mean being able to override the + function for a variable,
> > complete with method dispatch depending on the types of the variables
> > on both sides of the +?

>Um, you do realise you don't need multi dispatch to do operator
>overloading don't you?

Of course. You don't *need* it, but it does make things nicer.

>Every so often I find myself thinking 'I should implement something
>that automagically turns all numbers and strings into objects', but
>there's always something more important to do.

The multimethod dispatch'll take care of that, I think.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk