develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.mlc | Postings from August 2000

Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?

From:
Damien Neil
Date:
August 23, 2000 16:37
Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?
Message ID:
20000823163551.D74647@misago.org
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 08:41:46AM +1000, iain truskett wrote:
> Does it try to parse other escape sequences (such as \t, \n, \r etc.) or
> just the Unicode one?

No, just the Unicode escapes.  Think of it as trigraphs in C -- it's
there so you can translate code from a more-featureful character set
into less-expressive one, without losing information.

> If just the Unicode one then I'd say the problem is a feature, not a
> bug (reversing my stance), but one we probably don't have to worry about
> since it's peculiar to Java. Right?

This might have some relevance to Unicode handling in Perl, but that's
a whole other can of fish.

                        - Damien