develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.mlc | Postings from August 2000

Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?

From:
Damien Neil
Date:
August 23, 2000 15:25
Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?
Message ID:
20000823151422.C74647@misago.org
On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 06:53:31AM +1000, iain truskett wrote:
> >    /* File: C:\user\jv\demo.java */
>
> > t.java:1: Invalid escape character.
> > /* File: C:\user\jv\demo.java */
>
> In that situation, I would say that the java compiler isn't really doing
> what it should be doing. i.e. That looks like a bug, not a feature.  gcc
> does no such thing with its comments.

That would be because gcc is a C compiler, not a Java compiler.

Java permits you to write Unicode characters as escape sequences
like this: \u1234.  This translation can occur within comments, and
the above comment contains an illegal \u escape sequence.

                      - Damien