develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.mlc | Postings from August 2000

Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?

From:
David L. Nicol
Date:
August 23, 2000 10:11
Re: why not just use C /* ... */ ?
Message ID:
39A4059C.58F1C691@kasey.umkc.edu

> If the prime argument for mlc is commenting out large blocks of code
> then you'd better solve the nesting problem -- and do it well.

vi substitution

:.,+20s/^/##obsoleted Aug 22, 2000 ## /

works really well for the large blocks of code problem, so do

	$BOGUS::Comment=<<END_COMMENT

	END_COMMENT

and its proposed regularizaion into the obviously parseable

	#<<TOKEN

	TOKEN

which would not throw bothersome warnings.

However, if we are going to (as I would like to) allow the inclusion
of unmodified C and C++ header files to be included into Perl6 to define
structures and parameter lists and return value declarations, we're going
to need to filter out not only /* these */ but //these as well.

Many languages have a profusion of commenting syntaces, clipper had many,
the configuration files for bind allow lots of different comment styles too.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that leading # be thrown out.

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 nicold@umkc.edu
       My argument is the result of selectively breeding straw men