develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.mlc | Postings from August 2000

RFC: multiline comments

From:
Michael Mathews
Date:
August 3, 2000 10:40
RFC: multiline comments
Message ID:
01ea01bffd72$0b1667a0$af0c0a0a@ny.oxygen.com
Glenn Linderman pointed out:
I think you missed something in reading my proposal, perhaps you thought
my #<<
and #< syntaxes were alternatives?  I see them as working together, one
for
multi-line comments and one for in-line comments, with # for end-of-line
comments.

I'd rewrite your example below, as
code here;
#<<END_OF_COMMENT
     # this is a single line comment
     $foo = $a + $b #< here's an in-line comment ># + $c * $d;
END_OF_COMMENT
more code here;

Ooohh...!!! I see now.

However I fail to see the need for both. Can you give an example of where I
could'nt use #<...># in place of #<< ?

BTW: I've been playing and I found that this looks cool and also works under
perl5:

<<'#';
    some commented lines
#

so your #<< sytax enjoys the benefit of looking a lot like Perl!

--Michael