develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from September 2000

Re: TAI and Unix epoch issues

From:
Chris Nandor
Date:
September 21, 2000 13:33
Re: TAI and Unix epoch issues
Message ID:
p05001909b5f01fe60385@[192.168.0.77]
At 16:09 -0700 2000.09.19, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Was there any resolution as to how one obtains the offset between the
>system clock and the Unix epoch clock on a platform like Mac where
>apparently the system clock is in local time and it may be difficult to
>determine the time zone of the system?

Well, the problem is not the Mac.  The Mac returns proper values for gmtime
and localtime, so you can claculate the difference.  The problem is that we
don't know if we can calculate the proper time on all platforms.  Are there
any that are unaccounted for at this point?

>Is Perl keeping UTC or TAI?  If we're standardizing on an epoch, we should
>also standardize on a clock; the difference is over ten seconds.  If we're
>isolating the programmer from system clock issues, should we try to
>isolate them from weird handling of leap seconds?

I come out one second off in my calculation between Unix and Mac OS; I
think this is a leap second issue.  I don't know how important it is.

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge@osdn.com     http://osdn.com/