develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language.datetime | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch

From:
Nathan Wiger
Date:
September 18, 2000 09:17
Re: RFC 99 (v3) Standardize ALL Perl platforms on UNIX epoch
Message ID:
39C63E17.B454C64F@wiger.org
Chris Nandor wrote:

> >just assume "All Perl core functions should return objects", and hence
> >the reason I wrote RFC 73. ;-)
>
> And it would make me stop using Perl faster than your object method could
> be resolved.

Is your concern one of?

   1. Speed

   2. Bloat

   3. Excess burden on the programmer

   4. Required knowledge of OO to complete simple scripts

If it's any or all of these, I'm *with you*. I think OO should be
transparent, under the hood, you don't have to know it's there. See RFC
159 and RFC 73 for fairly good explanations of this.

But if you've got other concerns, I'd love to hear them (honestly).

-Nate